The Christ Church, located south of Hyde Park, was built in 1904 by Baron von Schröder after the congregation celebrated their services from 1683 to 1901 in the 'Queen's Chapel' in St. James's Palace, which was called the “Deutsche Hof-Kapelle in St. James's”.
Even during the two world wars, services were held every Sunday. On November 5, 1934, in the church hall of the Christ Church, a meeting of representatives of all German-speaking English congregations decided to break away from the Hitler-Reich loyal Church in Germany, and to join the Confessing Church. This happened with the significant participation of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who from 1933 to 1935 was pastor of the German Evangelical Church in Sydenham and the German Evangelical-Reformed Church in St. Paul in Whitechapel. Today's congregation consists of members who have lived in London for many years, but also many young families who have come to London in recent years and are living here for a longer or shorter term.
You can find a small tour of our church here.
On April 1, 2013, the former patronage community became the "Congregation of the German Evangelical Christ Church" as an independent charity.
Further information in English:
'Montpelier Square Area: Deutsche Evangelische Christus Kirche, Montpelier Place', Survey of London: volume 45, Knightsbridge (2000), pp. 124-127. (Source: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol45/pp124-127) Retrieved on: March 22, 2012
How to find us
Deutsche Evangelische Kirche
18 Montpelier Place
Knightsbridge Tube Station (Piccadilly Line)
South Kensington Tube Station (Piccadilly Line, District Line & Circle Line)
The church board includes:
- Pastor Lars Klehn (Chairman)
- Karin Purcell (Vice Chair)
- Tina Armbrust (Treasurer)
- Udo Bauer
- Michael Grünert
- Arnold Holle
- Sybille de Vegvar
- Dr Ursula Vogt
Christ Church also includes the Reading and Farnborough Places of Worship.